Monday, November 7, 2016

Origami pet peeves


Image result for small talk meme        I've been thinking of new ideas for this blog and this topic came to mind. What are some origami pet peeves? One of my biggest origami pet peeve is when people ask me "wow, how did you fold that?!" Ummm... like really? What kind of a question is that? You're just asking that question just to create small talk.  Also, there is no one sentence answer for such a question. I don't mean to be rude to those who ask such a question, in fact, its a complement really. However, maybe come up with something more cleaver to say, than just making small talk.  Small talk is the dumbest, and most annoying thing in life imho. (in my humble opinion)   Two, another pet peeve is when someone asks me, "what is that going to be?" when I'm folding a intermediate origami piece. Origami is not a "magic" act you preform for someone. Origami takes a lot of time to fold so I don't want tell you what the model is before I'm finished with it. Telling people what the model is before I'm done seems to reduce the surprise factor. Its like reading the end of the book before the beginning.  Pet peeve number three, when random people ask me "Wow, can you fold me something?". Ummm, no. Thats because some people just stand/sit next to me until I finish the model, and I can't stand that. I don't like it when people just stare in my direction, just no. Also, most simple models that I fold take like 20 minutes. Most peoples' attention span for origami is 50 seconds at most. For that reason, NO, I will not fold you something that you will 1. not appreciate 2. you'll will probably lose it out the next day, or 3. you'll just forget about it before the day is over. Finally, I don't like giving away origami that is not up to my standard. For those reasons and more, I will not fold origami for people who come up to me randomly and ask such a question. And pet peeve number four. When friends or family ask me to fold a complex origami for them. This is the one that drives me the most crazy. Origami is something thats special to me, I do origami for me, not for someone else. So when I have to fold origami models for other people it reduces the value of the art for me. I am no longer doing origami for me, "its for someone else..." Its also a pain when they ask that question since most origami models that I fold take 7-9 hours straight, as well as, folding the "concept" models first. This means that around 24 hours+ would go into the completion of one origami model. This may sound really rude or whatever, but I do not mean it that way.... To me, "you're not worth spending 20+ hours"... I'd rather just buy you a gift. I only fold origami for people I consider "worthy" of the art, or for people I appreciate. Also, saying no to family/friends also seems kinda rude so I generally give into their a request, but these are thoughts that go though my head when you ask.

           So there you are, these are just some of my origami pet peeves. When people have asked these questions, I generally responded in kind, however, I would prefer if people didn't ask them. With that said, I can't blame them for asking these questions. If I was in their position, I'd probably ask the same questions. So, these questions just comes with the practicing this art style.

2 comments:

  1. I completely see where you are coming from when you mentioned your second pet peeve. The fact that some pieces could take upwards of 13 hours could be almost like an artist is breathing life into the piece. It isn't ready to be revealed until the piece has life. Also can heavily agree with peeve 3. When people watch me code, they have questions every step of the way.
    Also it is totally logical that an origami model be something for only certain occasions. Especially when the amount of time involved is no small task. This makes for your view very understandable on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, only those who have experienced creating art knows that you can "spoil" the final piece before its done. Indeed, some things are only meant for special occasions, and origami is one of them for me.

      Delete